DO NOT MERGE
Here is a screenshot: http://builds-artifacts.piwik.org/piwik/piwik/8549/15097/UIIntegrationTest_admin_settings_general
- [x] Test agains once changes in
api.piwik.org are made
- [x] After merge update docs that mention
[Debug] allow_upgrades_to_beta afterwards as it was changed to
Plugins can now very easily provide their own custom release channels but we're not making it a public API as it won't be needed for now. The API might change once there is an actual use case for it. Eg right now they require that the latest available version number is checked via HTTP and that this API returns only a version number etc (not eg a JSON etc). Such things could be changed if it ever becomes API.
Possible use cases for custom release channels in the future: - Someone wants to provide a channel for nightly builds - Someone wants to provide an intranet server that serves updates as the actual Piwik instances might not be connected to the Internet - Someone wants to provide custom updates for users/clients. Eg we could have a central server and a client's Piwik connects to this central server where we have a prepackaged update for them including custom Plugins etc. - It will be easily possible to define new release channels for Piwik 4.X, Piwik 5.X, ...
Such things were kinda possible before but much harder to do.
I added label needs review but we should not merge it yet as we need to wait for changes in
api.piwik.org to be done
Code looks good, and +1000 for the concept.
@mattab what's the current status of
api.piwik.org? Are they made? Can we merge this one?
@tsteur Changes are made, and deployed, to api.piwik.org
For reference, API URLs for channels are: - Latest beta: http://api.piwik.org/1.0/getLatestVersion/?release_channel=latest_beta - Latest stable: http://api.piwik.org/1.0/getLatestVersion/?release_channel=latest_stable - Latest 2.X beta: http://api.piwik.org/1.0/getLatestVersion/?release_channel=latest_2x_beta - Latest 2.X stable: http://api.piwik.org/1.0/getLatestVersion/?release_channel=latest_2x_stable
@tsteur when merging this to 3.X branch, you can assume we'll have the 3.X LTS channel. so maybe we just replace 2.X by 3.X in the UI in 3.0.0 branch?
and when merging it, feel free to issue PR in api.piwik.org to add the new
3x_ config settings...
so maybe we just replace 2.X by 3.X in the UI in 3.0.0 branch?
I think we might just add a 3.X_beta and declare it as experimental or actually I think we'll think about it as soon as we actually release a beta :)
or actually I think we'll think about it as soon as we actually release a beta :)
Ok feel free to post any thought in #8836
After merge update docs that mention [Debug] allow_upgrades_to_beta afterwards as it was changed to [General]release_channel
All good it wasnt documented anywhere