This is a POC of the refactoring to get rid of singletons and static classes. This is the step 1 described in #4917.
Piwik\Db was a static class, i.e. all its methods were static.
Piwik\Db\Db (do you like the name? would
Database be better?) and moved the code of
Db into it. This new class is not static, and uses dependency injection.
Piwik\Db is now a static proxy to
Piwik\Db\Db. So for example calling
Db::fetchAll(...) will be forwarded to
We can now inject the non-singleton (
Db\Db) into whatever (in theory). But before doing that, we'll need to move the creation of that object into a container (right now it's created in
We can now also unit tests
Db\Db without hitting any database, because we can pass a mock instance of the DbAdapter. Yay.
Piwik\Access was a singleton.
Piwik\Authorization\Authorization and now
Piwik\Access just forwards to this new class.
I think it was probably a mistake to do that because it's not necessary, I just got carried away and thought the new name was more explicit (I didn't get what "Access" meant at first, authorization is more standard). But whatever no big deal, we can revert that.
So a better solution would be probably to have
Authorization (if we want to keep that name and namespace) and it would just add the singleton access for BC compatibility. That would avoid useless call forwarding.
If we don't want to rename it, then we can just keep
Access as it is and then when we have a container just have the
getInstance() call the container instead of creating the object directly.
+1 for Db\Database class and +1 for Authorization class (more standard name than Access what for me mean like a special case of Authorization)
I have changed
Access: it now extends
Authorization which make much more sense, and it avoids lots of useless code.
Edit: the tests seem to be running OK now, I think the ones that are failing are just because master is failing too.
Closing this as this was a POC.