@halfdan opened this issue on May 22nd 2010

Saw the following URL in my referer list:

google.co.uk

Problem: The search parameter isn't &q=keywork but &as_q - Trying to figure out where this comes from brought me to this page. The "advanced search" from google doesn't use &q=. It is even possible to combine these parameters like:

&as_q=test1&as_epq=test2&as_oq=foo+bar+baz

My idea to include this would be to allow KeywordParameter to be an array in SearchEngines.php.

I found that "google.kg" (Kyrgyzstan) is not included in the list of search engines.

@halfdan commented on May 22nd 2010
@halfdan commented on May 22nd 2010

Attachment: missing_list.txt

@halfdan commented on May 24th 2010
@anonymous-piwik-user commented on May 22nd 2010

that is the official list of google domains http://www.google.com/supported_domains maybe some more are missing

@halfdan commented on May 22nd 2010

Oh well.. ignore my suggestion. KeywordParameter already allows arrays. We should therefore adjust the setting for all Google entries to:

array(
  'q',
  'as_q',
  'as_oq',
  'as_epq'
);

hebbet: Thank for the link. Just wrote a little script to check if any other TLDs are missing. (see Attachment)

While writing the script I noticed the entry for google.fr:

'www.google.fr.' => ..

That looks like a typo to me (www.google.fr is in the list).

matt/vipsoft: Let me know if we should include the other parameters for Google in the list and I'll prepare a patch.

@robocoder commented on May 22nd 2010

The problem is that these advanced query parameters (as_q=ALL_THESE_WORDS, as_epq=EXACT_WORDING, as_oq=OR1+OR2+OR3, and as_eq=UNWANTED) can all appear in the referrer URL.

halfdan: sure, a patch would be great. Don't forget to change Piwik_Common::extractSearchEngineInformationFromUrl() and please add some unit tests.

@halfdan commented on May 23rd 2010

vipsoft: How do you think this should be handled? Should I just build a string from all keywords provided? This would lead to false reports e.g. in case of as_eq. Any suggestions?

@mattab commented on May 24th 2010

no problem to add missing google URLs, please provide patch

@mattab commented on May 24th 2010

Replying to vipsoft:

The problem is that these advanced query parameters (as_q=ALL_THESE_WORDS, as_epq=EXACT_WORDING, as_oq=OR1+OR2+OR3, and as_eq=UNWANTED) can all appear in the referrer URL.

I think that's fine, as long as if 'q' is found, it has priority over other variables.

@mattab commented on May 24th 2010

actually it would be an issue... to solve this issue properly, we would need to be able to construct the query string from the list of possible parameters (q, as_q, as_qe, etc.) which is I believe undocumented by google, and probably undesirable considering the low traffic. I vote for won't fix..

@robocoder commented on May 24th 2010

Replying to matt:

I vote for won't fix..

But it would be nice-to-have. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen a patch.

@halfdan commented on May 24th 2010

matt: SearchEngine patch is attached.

vipsoft: I'll need to think this through. I'm not sure yet on how to visualize the combined data (e.g. as_eq=UNWANTED should not appear as "keyword" because keywords usually suggest that the page was found using that keyword and not by ignoring it).

I'm mabye postposing the patch until after 0.6.2 as I'll focus on other work first. Feel free to move the ticket to 0.8 when necessary.

@mattab commented on May 24th 2010

as_eq=UNWANTED is equivalent, I believe, to using minus: "keyword -notThisKeyword"

@mattab commented on May 24th 2010

(In [2212]) Refs #1370 adding google URLs thanks halfdan!

@robocoder commented on May 25th 2010

I'll keep this ticket open. In the meantime, I created #1381 to record the addition of the missing Google URLs/domains, for the upcoming 0.6.2 changelog.

@mattab commented on May 27th 2010

moving it to later milestone.

@robocoder commented on September 4th 2010

At the same time, I propose we add some code to parse out the keywords when the referer is webcache.googleusercontent.com.

@robocoder commented on September 11th 2010

Opening a separate ticket for webcache.googleusercontent.com. #1692

@robocoder commented on September 11th 2010

(In [3118]) fixes #1370 - constructs the equivalent q= query from the advanced search parameters

This issue was closed on April 28th 2011
Powered by GitHub Issue Mirror